John D'Emic's blog about programming, integration, system administration, etc...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

OpenMQ, First Thoughts

For a variety of reasons I've been evaluating message brokers other then ActiveMQ.  I installed OpenMQ after hearing anecdotal evidence it was a good alternative.  Before switching to doing development full-time, I spent a fair amount of time in the trenches admining Solaris and Linux boxes.  As such, I'm a little bit too familiar with Sun's weird installers for things - and OpenMQ was no exception.  I was confronted with the first ncurses GUI I've seen since I stopped using Mutt to read my email - a tarball or RPM would have been sufficient. 

Despite this, the installation went smoothly enough and I had the broker up and going in about 15 minutes.  I had two brokers up in a cluster 45 minutes later.  All through the command line. Which was extremely impressive.  I'm going to spend some time today getting Mule and JMeter going with it and start passing some messages through.  I'll follow up with how that goes...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is this an HA cluster or a conventional one?

I have an HA cluster backed by Clustered MySQL (NDB) in production and I am really happy with it. OpenMQ is really easy to manage, monitor and operate!

And its client jar is really thin dependency-free jar, a great sell point in the typical application server's overcrowded class-loader ;-)